ICF offers a full range of services to assist clients who develop, promulgate, and implement regulations. U.S. federal rulemaking takes place in a complex environment that requires clear and precise drafting, defensible and transparent analysis, extensive public involvement, and balancing certainty and predictability with the need to promote innovation—usually under challenging deadlines.
ICF's extensive knowledge of the regulatory process and related subject matter expertise is based on more than 30 years of experience helping clients navigate the requirements of the Administrative Procedure Act, applicable executive orders and statutes, and internal and external processes and reviews.
Our services include:
- Reviewing new legislation
- Analyzing regulatory issues and options and helping define regulatory alternatives
- Estimating economic, environmental, business, and other impacts
- Evaluating the paperwork burdens of proposed actions
- Supporting the development of proposed and final rulemakings
- Summarizing and analyzing public comments and facilitating public involvement
- Developing implementation plans, communications strategies, and training and outreach programs
- Preparing retrospective analyses of existing rules
We have a multidisciplinary staff of policy analysts, economists, attorneys, business analysts, scientists, engineers, transportation analysts, emergency management specialists, and others. Our teams includes experts who specialize in particular types of regulatory analyses, including regulatory flexibility analyses, environmental impact studies and analyses under the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), paperwork burden assessments, and environmental justice analyses. Recognizing our expertise, clients have hired ICF to draft manuals on their regulatory processes, regulatory document templates, and methodology guides for developing analyses of paperwork burden (ICRs), economic impacts, and small business effects (SBREFA).
In addition, ICF has leveraged our regulatory experience to develop products that help federal agencies perform their regulatory tasks, such as the following:
CommentWorks®—ICF's commercial, web-based tool set for streamlining the process of managing and analyzing public comments
The Reg Map™—a graphic depiction of the informal federal rulemaking process (complimentary copies available)